Weekend Update

Well, it is the first day of the week here in Vietnam. I had a long weekend.

Saturday was a long day for me. I had 3 lessons to teach meaning 6 hours of work. I was tired when my last class ended at 5 PM. From SEAMEO, I headed to Pham Ngu Lao to meet with a British undergraduate student, Neil. Neil is here in Vietnam to work on an Amerasian project for his class. He will be taking still photographs of Vietnamese Amerasians. From PNL, we headed to Kentucky Fried Chicken for a nice meal. We then talked about Amerasians issues, etc. Neil is a very interesting guy.

From KFC, I took Neal to the Temple Club. I had organized a Linux User Group meeting with my students and friends. Tracy came and gave a demonstration of Red Hat and his Gnome applications. I will give a demo of my Gentoo system and KDE apps at another time.

After the meeting, Tracy, Neil and I headed back to Pham Ngu Lao. When we got there, we saw a lot of police and a crowd lined up on the street. I thought it could have been a motorbike accident but with the crowd, some smiling, I thought maybe it was something else. I went by the police and passed a police motorcycle. As I was going past him, I looked left and saw a dead body covered with a white sheet. At the head, I could tell it was the head under the sheet, I saw a pool blood coming from the head. I told Neal not to look and Tracy just saw a glimpse. I dropped Neal off, and Tracy and I left. I went home.

That night I could not sleep. The dead body did not bother me, what bothered me was seeing all the people gathered around the dead body like it was a spectator sport. No one seemed to care that someone was either hit by a car or killed by a gun. I got mad thinking about it.

Sunday I only had one class. After class I went to CO-OP Market, bought some cat food, and then headed back home. I decided to wash my motorbike before going home.

After I got home, I saw my landlord and told her that my doorknob was loose. Several minutes later, a repairman came to work on the doorknob. About one hour later he replaced it with a new one.

This was actually interesting since my landlord and her kids came to my room to play with my cats. They liked Smokey and my new cat, Lucy.

I came home, watched some Japanese cartoons and then went to sleep.

Weekend over 🙂

Cross-posted at: http://kevmille.livejournal.com/89784.html

%d bloggers like this: