I used jailbreakme.com to unlock another iPhone here in Vietnam thanks with the help of the IT guy at ViGroup last night (Here is a nice guide to jailbreak the iPhone with firmware 1.1.1 which is supposed to work with firmware 1.1.2 as well -> JailBreak iPhone the easy way).
My friend would not let me unlock his iPhone until we found a way to put the Vietnamese fonts on his iPhone so he can view Vietnamese language websites. No problem, his IT guy found a webpage that explained how to install Vietnamese fonts on the iPhone.
- In Installer, select the ‘Sources’ icon, press ‘Edit’, and then press ‘Add’
- After the ‘Add Source’ window pops up, add this source: iphone.billydragon.net and press ‘OK’
- It should now be refreshing the sources
- Select the ‘Install’ icon and then scroll to the bottom until you see ‘Vietnamese’
- Select either VietFonts FW.1.0.2 or VietFontsFW.1.1.1 depending on which firmware you have and hit ‘Install’
- Presto, you should be able to view Vietnamese language websites now
VietFonts FW.1.1.2 does not seem available yet but it should be in a couple of weeks. Be sure to install the English-Vietnamese dictionary as well.
As I always told my students, there is no need to pay $30-100 to get your iPhone unlocked in Vietnam if you can do it for free online in under 5 minutes. Many argued that the mobile phone shops would add Vietnamese font support for an extra fee that they would not be able to do on their own. Nope, they can do it on their own 🙂