Another memory post. It is hard to believe that Smokey passed away nearly 5 years ago. He was in so many of my blog posts for SaigonNezumi.com. I still remember this day well. Smokey was actually poisoned in my Phu Nhuan District house. The vets felt he could have drank the mop water but he could have also eaten an aspirin as well. I never found out. The sad part is that if Smokey was in the US, he would still be alive. It is easy to keep cats alive with his condition. He just needed to have an IV once a day. In Vietnam this was difficult.
On this day I was asked to keep an eye on Smokey. My Vet said I would know when he is ready to go. On the day I called the Vet to put Smokey to sleep, Smokey had been whimpering all day, his breath smelled of ammonia. He had stopped eating for a couple days. The sure sign he knew he was about to die was when he started hiding in dark places. This day was quite sad for me. He was put to sleep and his ashes were spread in the Saigon River.
I miss Smokey. Below is the original post and pictures from April 19, 2010:
Well, as some of you may know, Smokey only has less than a month to live. His kidneys and liver have failed. The vet does not want to see Smokey for another month, if possible, since his next visit will be to put Smokey to sleep.
Smokey has been one of my mainstays for SaigonNezumi.com as you can tell from the below link:
Right now Smokey is enjoying his live in my new room in District 1. He sleeps most of the day in a computer chair next to my bed. He does interact with me more but on his face you can tell that he knows…